Inspired by the colors of nature, yellow stands for warmth. Handwoven by artisans in Kenya. The large basket totes are handcrafted from nature using sisal fiber from the agave plant and dyed using natural dyes. They can be used as beach bags, pool bags, gym bags, market baskets, storage, planters, home décor, organizers and more. Our founders are both mothers and use them to tote around their children’s supplies and needs for activities. It has a rich, textural, rustic feel that is elegant and comfortable.
Features: 1. Durable, washable, organic plant-based fiber that is sustainably harvested from the agave plant. It is eco-friendly, biodegradable and earth conscious. Dye comes from nature. 2. A button closure. 3. Two leather handles. Size Information: Top length: 19 inches Height: 14 inches Bag Bottom Diameter: 14 inches Strap handle Length: 7 inches Weight 1 lb. 7oz. Sustainability: The sisal fiber is sustainably harvested from the leaves of the agave plant. It is rich with fiber. The fiber is dried and dyed with locally sourced natural dye either from plants, tree bark, flowers or soil. The entire process is done by hand.
Ethical Fashion: Ethical fashion is the awareness of the people and the process of making our accessories. It is fashion that is morally right for the people that create, the environment they are in and fair compensation of their effort. This bag is handmade by women in their community using ancient weaving craftsmanship.
About Sawa Sawa: We are a black woman, sustainable, non-profit eco-fashion brand. Co-founded by Anne and Catherine. Our mission is to empower artisan women in Kenya by harnessing their ancient skills in weaving, beading, art and more to provide a sustainable dignified income. We buy from the women to give them an income and a platform to share their skills. We re-invest the revenue into various 501(c)3 non-profit empowerment programs especially reproductive health education and menstrual hygiene kits for girls in school.
- Intricately handwoven in a traditional craft, each product is unique. It takes about 50 agave leaves harvested, stripped, dyed and dried and two to three weeks of weaving to create one bag. The process is done entirely by hand to create a one-of-a-kind, work of art.
- Ethically made – We partner with artisan women in their natural environment, we source through fair trade practices and re-invest the revenue into the artisan communities. Our partnership helps uplift the women and preserve an ancient, cultural craft.
- Sustainability- Handcrafted from sustainably harvested agave leaves that regenerate, locally sourced leather that has been vegetable tanned and dyes sourced from nature. Our brand is green and circular. It considers the artisans, the process, the materials, the environment and the end user. We impact 11 of the 17 UN sustainable development goals in economic, social and environmental standards.
- Earth conscious – Created from natural, organic, eco-friendly, biodegradable plant fiber. Our bags come from nature and go back into nature.
- Black female founded nonprofit; impact driven brand. Our mission is to empower artisan women in Kenya. 10% provides reproductive health education and menstrual hygiene kits to help girls stay in school consistently.